Skillet Chicken Ribollita
1 cup fresh bread crumbs (homemade or prepared) *see note for making bread crumbs
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 pound uncooked chicken sausage, sliced into 2-inch pieces
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
½ - 1 teaspoon crushed red chili
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 (15-ounce cans) cannellini beans, drained
½ cup chicken stock or water
2 cups Barilla® Roasted Garlic Sauce
2 cups baby spinach or kale greens
⅓ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bread crumbs and cook 2 - 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the crumbs are crisp and golden brown. Set aside.
- Put the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet (12-inches) that has a lid. Place over medium heat and add the onion. Cook until the onion is softened and translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and add the sausage. Cook the sausage until it begins to brown, stirring it around the pan so it doesn't stick.
- Stir in the garlic, rosemary, chili and salt to taste. Cook about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the beans, stock, and Roasted Garlic Sauce and bring to a simmer.
- Lower the heat, cover the pan and cook 10 minutes. Uncover the pan and simmer 5 more minutes to thicken the sauce. Remove from the heat and stir in the spinach.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs and cheese over the top and serve.
To make your own bread crumbs, lightly toast 4 slices of crusty bread. Cut into chunks (you can leave the crusts on) and pulse in a mini food processor to make coarse crumbs.